|Serve this hearty main-course soup with a loaf of crusty bread and a green salad. If you prefer, substitute 1 can (16 to 19 ounces) rinsed and drained cannellini beans for the navy beans; although the sodium level will be higher using canned beans.
1. Combine navy beans and cold water to cover in large pot. Bring to a boil and boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, let stand 1 hour, and drain. Combine beans and water to cover in same pot. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook 45 minutes or until tender.
- 1/2 cup dried navy beans, rinsed and picked over
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) no-salt-added tomatoes, chopped with their juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 10 ounces pork tenderloin, cut into large chunks
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound firm tofu, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
2. Meanwhile, in nonstick Dutch oven or flameproof casserole, heat oil over low heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, 7 minutes or until onion is tender. Add bell pepper and carrot and cook, stirring frequently, 5 minutes or until carrot is tender.
3. Stir in tomatoes and their juice and 3/4 teaspoon of salt and simmer, stirring frequently, until lightly thickened. Add spinach, drained beans, and 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook 5 minutes for flavors to blend.
4. Meanwhile, in food processor, process pork until coarsely ground. Transfer to bowl, add egg white, wheat germ, Parmesan and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and mix to combine. Shape into 20 walnut-size meatballs. Uncover soup and drop meatballs and tofu into simmering soup. Cover and simmer 5 to 7 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through. Per serving: 500 calories, 19g total fat, 4.1g saturated fat, 6.8g monounsaturated fat, 7g polyunsaturated fat, 15.5g dietary fiber, 47g protein, 42g carbohydrate, 49mg cholesterol, 791mg sodium.
Good source of: beta-carotene, calcium, fiber, folate, iron, magnesium, potassium, riboflavin, selenium, vitamin B6, vitamin C, zinc.